Thursday, March 12, 2009

Give and Thank You

I recall it was Flor who told me that if you pray over your loved ones while they are asleep, murmuring your deepest desires, God listens. I do that and I believe He does.

Tobi is coming up with words lately and is following some instructions at home. The latest “to do” that he learned was “to give.” While he’d usually throw his toys all over the house, last weekend I asked him to give me his basketball and behold he did, with a bonus sweet smile for me. That undeniably brought tears to mine and Agom’s eyes because among our wishes is for our son to be a giving person. We’d like him to be so because there is this stereotype that an only child can be selfish, thinking only to satisfy him. We pray that he grows to become a cheerful giver in the same way that his parents are trying to be one today.

Giving as a family is something we are working on now, in our own humble ways. I pray that Tobi follows that same track because that would be our family’s way of saying Thank You to a God that provides.

My answer to Tobi’s giving: “thank you, anak!” In my heart it meant thanks for a hundredfold of blessings that comes our way, Tobi the most precious of them.

No comments: