Friday, March 13, 2009

TOTE THOUGHTS

Everytime colleagues offer to carry my bag for me, they are amazed at how I can maintain walking straight despite the load that is my entire bag. I have to admit to them that I indeed carry a lot of stuff. It may be weird but I just subscribe to the belief that a woman should always be prepared for any eventuality. The other night, Gretchen Barretto was featured on TV showing off her separate pouches for sundries. My husband said that perhaps Gretchen is also a girlscout wannabe.

In the spirit of La Greta's revelations, here's mine:

Two mobile phones
Why do I need two? One bears a number that is known to officemates, my boss, as well as my family and is easy to navigate as its a basic phone with no frills. The other is a bit fancy and holds pictures of my son and recordings of his laugh.

Maroon folding umbrella bought in Aachen, Germany
The length of the umbrella is actually a standard for a perfectly-sized bag for me. It's a basic need in a country that goes through only two seasons: rainy season and scorching summer time.

Little Blue Ideas Book
It's a much-loved companion in times when something just goes "ting" in my brain and I have to jot down stuff like concepts for a business or for a project at work, wonderful places that I must go to, interesting finds in a store, tips read from a magazine or heard over the radio, wish list for life, etc.

Make-Up Pouch
For quick touch-ups and for medical emergencies, my pouch holds my basic make-up and quick remedies such as antihistamine tablets, menthol stick for headaches, Ilog Maria ointment for insect bites, and holy oil from Fatima.

Shades
Remember...I have to be ready for the scorching summer season which can occur anytime within the day in this country. Yes, even if it was raining in the morning.

The Wallet
It doesn't hold coins but I must have it beside me even as I sleep. Other people hold on to pillows or blankets, me I clutch The Wallet especially when I have to sleep by myself.

Tattered Prayerbook
You get the idea, my purse is a shopful of things for emergencies. Wherever I go, I have this tattered Cursillo prayerbook I got from my father which has been a source of solace in trying times. Pages on prayers before studying, before travelling, for the family, for work, and for illness are well-used and are witness to how I entrust my life to the One.

Green wallet
This holds the money and IDs, of course.


No comments: